Sunday, October 26, 2008

Back Home in Texas...




This past week I had the chance to return to my hometown of Temple, Texas for the 1st time since last Christmas. It was a fun filled week with alot of appointments in and around the community. The highlight of my trip was meeting Governor Rick Perry at the Texas State Capitol. Governor Perry held a nice reception for the Texas Olympians and it was a nice treat to get to meet him and his staff and get a chance to tour the capitol grounds.





I spent the entire week hanging out with my Dads 6th Grade Science class, answering questions about traveling and the Olympics and even had the chance to help out with a few lesson plans. It was nice to see the reaction of the kids as they were able to share with me the greatest experience of my life. This past weekend was the last few days of my "vacation" and it was an awesome one that included several football games, a round of Golf at one of Texas most beautiful courses and a TON of food. It has been a great break from training but I am 100% ready to get back to San Diego and get back to work.

Once I get back to San Diego, I will have a busy week ahead of me that includes several classes that I am hosting at the Olympic Training Center. One visit that I am looking forward to is my visit to the Poway Elementary School. These kids were kind enough to "adopt" me while I was in Beijing and I received numerous emails and cards wishing me well and I even received a generous donation to In The Arena for $200. This will be my first visit to the kids since I have returned home from the Olympics. I cant wait to get back to San Diego and get back to work! Catch ya later! Mike++