Sunday, April 12, 2009

close call...



1st Meet of the year, Dakar Grand Prix in Senegal this Saturday....not going ;(

About 6 days ago, during a high intensity throwing session I felt something give way in my knee. After a few days of sweating bullets and several doctors visits, it was determined that I had just a small bone bruise that caused some inflammation to the tissue and fluids surrounding the knee. Typically this wouldn't be that bad of a problem, but given my knee history of 2 surgeries...I was a bit worried. I have a few bone spurs left over from a 1999 ACL reconstruction and when the fluids and tissues around my knee get inflamed those bone spurs turn into a painful problem. My doctor compared it to someone biting their cheek. It swells up and rubs against your teeth and hurts but when the swelling goes away, so does the pain.

So where am I now? I am going to attempt to take a few throws on the grass tomorrow and see how it feels. My manager has pulled me out of the Dakar meet and we are pushing the season opener back to May 9 in Doha Qatar for the IAAF Super Grand Prix. The past few months have been ridiculous with injures and set backs and this years training season has been one to test every last nerve and ounce of patience and diligence that I have. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do hardly any community service work as almost every waking hour the last few weeks has been spent on rehab of an ailing shoulder and now knee.

I am hoping that better times lay ahead and that the upcoming competition season will interject some much needed confidence and motivation for the 2009. I keep hearing people say the grass is always greener on the other side..but they fail to tell me how to get there! Till next time,
M++