Friday, October 23, 2009

Giving back that which can't be given back...

He told me that he was on his way out to pick up another wounded soldier out on the field...that is all he remembers.

Last Wednesday I had the opportunity...scratch that, honor to coach some of America's disabled warriors. The USOC Paralympic Military Program brought some of its disabled vets who had been wounded in action to the Olympic Training Center last Wednesday.

"The U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) Paralympic Military Program provides post-rehabilitation support and mentoring to American servicemen and women who've sustained physical injuries such as traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, amputation, visual impairment/blindness and stroke. Veterans are introduced to adaptive sport techniques and opportunities through clinics and camps and are also connected with ongoing Paralympic sports programs in their hometowns."

http://www.usparalympics.org/pages/5137

I had the privilege to hang out and show some real heroes what I do on a daily basis and I was humbled by how much they have sacrificed. Alot of times I get angry when I look at what kind of notoriety Olympians get in the USA and when I think about how much I have sacrificed to get to where I am now. Then I see what these guys have sacrificed and I realize that I have had a walk in the park.

I spoke to one guy named Chris from Michigan...he caught me by surprise as he came up to me from behind without me knowing, I couldn't figure out how I didn't hear him and then I realized its because they guy has no legs and moves at about 1 mile per hour. He was "walking" up to me on 2 stems that looked like something NASA had put together, made of all kinds of carbon fiber and space age plastics, it actually looked like something a space age robo-cop would use. He had this ridiculous sparkle in his eye and said "dude this looks cool, I have been wanting to try this forever!"

I hung out with him for about 20min as we talked about all kinds of things ranging from javelin training to hobbies to where we grew up. As our time began to come to an end before he moved on to the next station (where the discus was being taught) the conversation shifted to what happened to his legs. He told me he was a Marine Medic and he was serving in Iraq...what he told me next sent chills up my spine. He said that he had just jumped out of his Hum-V and was running out to help other injured marines that had just been involved in an IED (improvised explosive device) he was only about 20 seconds from the Hum-V...thats all he remembers.

here is a quick video of just what that may have been like...just a glimpse
(some of these are graphic but need to be seen)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLIvJqv7Mxo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88K5vjJyxsg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7RQ9Os_zRk&feature=related


He was told that he was on his way out TO HELP other injured marines and thats when the 2nd IED went off, taking both his legs. Meanwhile, Chris is hanging out with me talking javelin and thinking what I do is cool...I couldn't help but to give the guy a hug and remind him that I...WE, couldn't do the everyday things that we take advantage of without their sacrifice and service.

I only heard one of a few thousand stories that have yet to be told, but it just reminds me everyday that I need to be grateful for what I have...that has been given to me through what I have sacrificed. It also reminds me that what I have sacrificed is no sacrifice at all compared to these heroes. Its easy to get caught up in the glitz and glam, and massive salaries and egos of football, baseball, basketball and other major sports that Americans hold so dear to their hearts. I used to be the one who wanted to be on MTV cribs, buying out the bars and having 8 cars in the driveway worth a quarter million dollars each. Now, I would prefer to be able to lay my head down at night knowing that I served a greater purpose other than being entertainment for the very people who take advantage of the right to have that entertainment...That to me is worth more than any contract can pay.

Please take 6min of your time to watch the video on the The USOC Paralympic Military Program, ITS JUST 6 MINUTES!! ...you can sacrifice that for what they have done! It can be found on this page:

http://www.usparalympics.org/pages/5137