Sunday, February 14, 2010

Olympic Memories

USA...USA...USA...USA...USA...USA...!!!!!!!! that's the sound that I remember as I came down the tunnel and neared the opening of the stadium that seated 100,000 fans in Beijing...



The hair on the back of my neck stood up, my eyes teared, and my heart hurt as I watched Team USA Vancouver file into the stadium on Friday night. I don't know what I was expecting to feel, or feel anything at all as I watched the opening ceremonies. It was just a really cool thing to watch with a glass of wine on Friday evening...so I thought.

As the ceremonies began, I was immediately brought back to Beijing and all the emotions that came with the journey of getting there, competing, and post Olympic depression. I watched with envy, pride, jealousy, and a heavy heart as many of my close friends and part-time training partners where living out their Olympic Dream. I'm sure it was an emotional day for almost all of the athletes as word of the Georgian Luge athlete was passed on throughout the village. However tragic it seems, I feel it is a accurate representation of athletes and the bond that they form with their Olympic Dreams and journeys. It would not surprise me to hear that many athletes would give all they have, maybe even life itself, to live out Olympic glory.

As the Winter Olympic Games play out, you can be sure that I will be rocking my TEAM USA gear everywhere I go and will be supporting my friends and fellow Olympians with every ounce of my being! Watch out for fellow ITA athletes bringing home some serious hardware!!!!!!

LETS GO EMILY, TORIN & CAITLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In community news. I am now the proud owner of a new title. High Tech High Volunteer Track Coach! I will be working with a local High School's track and field program throughout the rest of the 2010 school year and beyond. I met the team last week and they are a great group of highly energetic kids and I cant wait to get started this week!

Here are a few memories from opening ceremonies in Beijing....enjoy!
M++