Thursday, August 26, 2010

When you shouldnt, but you do it anyway ...

"Foolish" resulting from or showing a lack of sense; ill-considered; lacking forethought or caution."

At this point in my career, I am surely smart enough...wise enough...experienced enough...to not go to a competition if I was, lets say, not necessarily less than a 100% (because that's hardly ever possible), but I wouldn't go to a competition injured. Or world I?

This entire season (that almost never existed for me) has been a continuous series of last second decisions. Some have paid off, others haven't. Last week was one of those that didn't.

I traveled to Slovakia last weekend on an injured knee. The knee got swollen and inflamed shortly after a training session last Wednesday. I spent the following 2 days eating a more than healthy amount of anti-inflammatory medications and abused my ice privileges at our hotel. I couldn't fully extend my knee and had some nasty cracking sounds in it. Instead of not competing or training and trying to get ready for the World/Cont Cup, I got on planes/trains and automobiles for a 7 hour travel day to Dubnica Nad Vahom Slovakia. I pounded about 9 espressos the day of the competition as well as 1/2 a bottle of aleeve pain medication (another "foolish" idea). All things considered, I was actually pretty happy with the result. My parents where actually able to watch the meet streaming live from Texas and where able to watch my 1st throw of the meet, which cruised out to around 79m. The problem is in my event there is a foul line, and with no block leg/knee sometimes you end up on your face...on top of the foul line.

I returned to my training base in Köln, Germany and promptly scheduled an orthopedic appointment (BIG thanks to Viola Cruz at the USOC Elite Athlete Insurance department, Viola you are the BEST!!) The doctor found some good news, small pieces of cartilage that had been knocked off. So small that he thinks that it will not require surgery, but large enough to mess things up in their. So, another round of cortisone injections

(see shoulder issues) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MifLldmqJLI

and its back to the road to recovery for the World Cup...Its a road I'm good at and have alot of practice.

That still doesn't answer the question of why I would do such a "foolish" thing... here's my best shot at that:

I came to Europe the beginning of August because I have the IAAF World/Cont Cup the beginning of September. My "plan" was to throw 2 times the entire month of August, and then at the Continental Cup. That was to give me the necessary 5 meet minimum to receive a world ranking.

Why is the world ranking so important? Because I compete for a federation (USATF) that is based solely on numbers and doesn't take into account athletes current medical, physical, mental...or any state for that matter. Its all put up or shut up and in this years case I wouldn't have been able to come to Europe at all if I didn't have the world ranking that I had last year. Since I finished #15 last year, I was given a small travel stipend to help offset expenses of traveling and living while in Europe. Thanks for that...I guess?

In order to receive the same kind of support next year, I am in a scramble to accumulate enough points to get my ranking back to where it was the last 2 years (preferably 2008)... In my current physical condition, that's not the best idea to ensure that I have a successful lead up to the trails and games of 2012. I would LOVE to do what the majority of the smarter athletes have done this year, which is sit out half or the entire season...hindsight...sigh.

In the meantime, I will continue to be thankful for the opportunities that I have been given, knowing that others would love the chance to come compete but cant. I need to change this ice bag now, until next time:
M++

From the dr's office in Köln...dont worry the screws in there are supposed to be there!