Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Oslo

Im sitting here in Oslo typing up my blog, trying to come up with a theme, and Im looking out my window and noticing that the sun isnt quite down yet and its almost midnight (thanks jet-lag)! So how about this: This blog is about thankfulness, a.k.a gratitude. Thankful that back in San Diego, the sun sets in the evening, bringing a bit of closure to the day...thankful that back home oatmeal/raisins and 2 cups of coffee doesn't cost $50. Thankful for good friends who let me crash in places that I have no way of affording them! There is plenty more but for time sake Ill cap it at that.

Im in Europe for a quick 2.5 week trip to hit 2 maybe 3 meets, Im confirmed for Dessau, Germany, June 1 and Gothenburg Sweden, on June 11 and hopefully if the business end of the sport goes well I will get to sneak in the backdoor meet of the Oslo Diamond League on June 9....all sounds good huh, hold that thought. I took another synvisc injection in my knee the day before i was to come over and the night before I got on the plane my knee doubled in size and looked like a strawberry, red spots and all... I almost bailed on the trip but then decided to do it anyways, and it turned out to be the most interesting, challenging flight I have had in quite a while... Some good mental practice on meditation and pain management...."jedi mind tricks" as a super close friend would say. I'm learning some really cool stuff on how to deal with "feelings" and associations of certain feelings and how we react to them and it has made a big difference in some of my last performances... It is even more helpful in allowing me to focus on what lies ahead for me after my track career is done...those close to me know where I am headed, and in time you may too.

Last week I hit a meet in Tucson AZ and let one go out to the right side...still not connected with the jav as I would have liked to be, but given the fact that I have almost never broken 70m in training, I was comfortable...not happy...not mad...not satisfied....just comfortable with an 81.09m throw and 2 others over 80 and a 79.97m toss....all in all its just part of the process and makes no difference in anything else in life...its just the smoke that goes along with the mirrors...I hope to have more comfortable news from Europe this week...stand by
M++