Sunday, August 2, 2009

Berlin Bound

Multi-tasking:
"The apparent simultaneous performance of two or more tasks by a central processing unit"... try more like juggling 5 or 6 tasks! arrggggg!

This blog comes to you, with a bit of sarcasm and frustration. Just a quick update on the current situation...

I am in Saarbrucken Germany, where my training base for the upcoming IAAF World Championships are in 3 weeks (and counting)... The current problems are that I am unable to get into my room that I am staying in, because my roomate has proceeded to head into town for a few beers and has taken the room key with him, thus I'm locked out. 2nd problem, I have been wearing the same clothes since Saturday morning (its now almost midnight and Monday morning is just a few minutes away). I flew back from the Stockholm Super Grand Prix Saturday afternoon, but Frankfurt International misplaced my bags (and where supposed to be here 9 hours ago) and they now refuse to answer the phone... (see Doha disaster 2008 AND 2009) The last issue is my computer, I have been on and off the phone with German and USA tech support and they have been great as usual but we keep getting disconnected due to bad connections...So imagine telling a story for about 30min, then hang up, and start all over again, now repeat this process 5 more times and this is where I am now.

So...I am healthy and in good shape physically, just a bit flustered and dirty and am ready to get things back in order...always looking up shall I say ;)

Quick updates on the competition schedules...last update was from Athens as I was on my way to the Rome Golden League meeting. I threw below average in Rome and took 6th place which was ok for me in a stacked field full of medals. From Rome I went back to Athens and took 4th at the Grand Prix there with another average performance. I then had a short break and just got back from the Stockholm Super Grand Prix yesterday...

The Stockholm meet (which was on Universal Sports in the US if you missed it) was the most fun I have ever had at a meet by far. The food, the hotel, the organization, the Swedish people, everything was awesome and 1st class. The competition itself was ok, I took 4th place (again) in another stacked field and was finally able to knock off the 2004 and 2008 Silver medalists from Latvia as well as the 2003 World Champion. The conditions where bad, strong headwind, 50 degrees and rain, but I have thrown in similar conditions this year several times and managed a 78m throw.

I am now heading into the final preparations for Worlds and have a few good weeks of training ahead of me before resting for the big show. Ill try to updat emore from Berlin as I did last year from Beijing, but for now, I need to get in my room, shower and get to bed!

Till next time,
Auf Wiedersehen
M++