Monday, August 17, 2009

Locked & Loaded



You know the feeling of seeing a present under the Christmas tree a few days before Christmas day? Well that’s about how I feel about my upcoming qualifying round this Friday in Berlin at the IAAF World Champs. But you always know there is a catch right? Well in my case, if I shake that present to try to guess whats inside, it will break before Christmas comes…so instead I have to see it everyday and just look at it and wonder…

I have been in Berlin since August 9th and am in lifetime best shape, which is very good but also very dangerous. I am learning from my experiences in Beijing and from what I have seen several athletes go through thus far in the championships…Being in the best shape of your life for a World Championships is great, but I also have to make sure that I don’t let my emotions take over and place expectations on myself. I have goals and dreams sure, but expectations no…well maybe 1 great expectation and that is I expect to go out and do my best. I have watched my roommate, the 2000 and 2004 Olympic Silver Medalist and 2005 World Champion place 5th last night. He has been around a long time and seen it all, and he summed it up the best that I have heard thus far. As he was walking out the door to go to the final…I said “good luck bro!” as he was just about to shut the door he smiled and said, “just another day at the office”

Berlin has been great, the hotel is nice (been here a few times before for the Golden Leagues) and the weather has held up nicely. The stadium has been almost at capacity for every session and it has all the makings of a great championship. Tomorrow I have a short sprint session followed by a few full approach runs with the javelin. After that, it’s a rest day on Tuesday as I will watch my teammate Rachel Yurkovich compete in the women’s javelin final. Its exciting times for the USA javelin team, for the 1st time ever we have a woman in the final and we have a full squad of 3 guys. Wednesday is a light lifting session and Thursday is a pre meet shakeout before the show on Friday. I will also be watching my fellow ITA teammate Zoila Gomez compete in the marathon! GO ZOILA!!!!!

I will try to give a few more updates as the qualifying round gets closer, but for now…Locked and loaded in Berlin, and its just another day at the office ;)
By the way, some guy just ran a 9.58 in the 100m dash…that’s kind of fast, 24 mph to be exact…wow
M++