Sunday, November 22, 2009

Under the Knife ... again


First off, please excuse the shortness of this blog entry. Its a bit difficult to type one-handed with my arm in a sling. I had surgery this weekend on my shoulder and am still feeling the effects of the anesthesia and enjoying my pain medication. On my last update, the doctors in San Diego anticipated a small procedure called an acromioplasty that is just a few weeks recovery. After further examination of the MRI's and x-rays, a labrum tear was found, which is usually a 9 month recovery period. This would mean that I would miss the entire 2010 season. I flew to Birmingham, Alabama to see Dr. Andrews and Jeffry Dugas, arguably the best doctors in the world.

The surgery was completed with mixed results, some good some bad. The good news is that I will be able to compete this season (we had previously thought otherwise). The bad news is that I will have to do so with a torn labrum and ruptured bicep tendon. The bicep tendon rupture was a surprise because it never showed up on the MRI and I didnt show any signs of it. According to the doctors, it looked like a bomb went off in my shoulder, but believe it or not they have seen worse. I was told that if they fixed everything that had went wrong, I wouldn't have been able to throw again. That being said, they did do the acromioplasty, as well as de-debried the laburm and joint socket, removed a few bone spurs and freed up some capsule space. They told me that I under went the exact same surgery as guys such as Bret Farve, Troy Aikman and John Elway. I guess they had ok careers after all. I have enjoyed the company of a few of my rehab-mates, Bob Sanders (Indianapolis Colts) Chad Pennington (Miami Dolphins) Mike Goff (SD Chargers).

Next up for me...rest, rehab, more rest and look for a job to help pay some of these medical bills. Unfortunately, ITA activities are all on hold until all of the dust settles. Till next time,
M++