Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Change of Scenery

Once again, this blog comes from an airport terminal, but I’m not flying to a meet as I would normally do this time of year. I’m headed to Colorado Springs, Colorado to train at the “other” USOC training center, which just happens to be the headquarters.

After several evaluations and countless hours of rehab and therapy, it was decided by the USOC medical staff that I take a few weeks to get treated in the Springs by a different group of doctors and therapists. My plan is to stay until I’m ready to throw competitively again. When I say competitively, I mean 80m shape. I can throw in the mid 70’s every time out but not without a considerable amount of pain and I know that 75m will not be medal contention. In a perfect world, I would be ready to throw by the June 12 New York Diamond League, but I’m not holding my breath. I’m taking it day by day and will do the best I can with what I have.

The High Tech High season has come to an end, on a bittersweet note. Last weeks CIF preliminaries where marred by a conflict in schedules between the administration and athletic offices that lead to a few of our best athletes missing the meet completely. Other had to work internships all day and rush to the competition, and in most cases arrive only minutes before the start time. All in all, it was a frustrating but fairly successful day. This weekends CIF meet in North San Diego County put a few of HTHCV athletes against the best in Southern California. Although we escaped the meet with a few personal and school records….the performances where not enough to advance to CIF Finals and the season has come to an end. It was a bumpy but fun ride and I now look forward to working with Coach Earl Cabanas “Team Elite” track club and will even get a chance to coach a few young promising javelin throwers.
My flight is boarding now....gotta bounce.
M++


new personal best in box jumps, 59" = 4.91 feet (1.49m)